- Programs & Events
- Get Involved
- Our Campus
The museum began with the acquisition of the historic Hull-Flater House, and the home still serves as the welcoming “front porch” of the expansive development. The house was built in 1881 by Jasper Hull and his wife, Mary Monett Hull. Jasper was co-founder of the Findlay Artificial Gas and Light Company.
The Hulls had one of the grandest homes of the day, situated on prominent Back Street (now Sandusky Street). It was one of the first homes in Findlay to be heated by gas. Jasper and Mary had six daughters. The Hull family lived there until Mary’s death in 1906, when Henry & Della Flater purchased the house. The Flaters divided the house into a duplex and used the basement for their seed and fertilizer business until they sold the home in 1947. The house was used as office space until the Museum purchased the building in 1970. In 2001, the house underwent extensive restoration. Through countless volunteer hours, it was returned to its Victorian Era grandeur.