Green Mill Garden
In the mid-1920s, the city of Findlay began to build a more up-to-date dance pavilion at Riverside Park. The old dance pavilion was condemned by the state when it was discovered that the frame supports were rotting. The city purchased the old ice house property from Kranz Brewery owner William Altmeyer. R, Burton Child of Findlay was contracted to build the Green Mill. The building had 7,200 square feet of floor space, all in hardwood. On top of the building was a 35-foot windmill to carry out the “mill” idea. The Green Mill opened on June 11, 1925, illuminated by almost one hundred 60-watt bulbs. Sadly, the mill disappeared between 1925 and the early 1930.
In 1936, the dance hall was making money, and they started a new activity; roller skating. Couples paid a nickel per dance, filing off the dance floor when the music stopped, and paying another nickel if they wanted to dance again.
The big band era was busy, but it made way for Rock and Roll in the early 1960s. In April of 1960, the Republican Courier reported that the Green Mill would host “a star-studded attraction headed by Johnny and the Hurricanes.” In August of 1960, Bobby Rydell appeared at the Green Mill, wowing the local teens. The Green Mill hosted many celebrities including Guy Lombardo, Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie, Glenn Miller and Alice Cooper!
By the late 1960s, the major musical entertainment at the Green Mill was “Battles of the Bands.” One memorable battle took place on July 14, 1969, and featured the Naked Onion, Heel & Soul, The Other Half, Mixed Emotions, Organized Confusion, and the Born Losers. (In case you were curious, the Born Losers won!)
By the mid-1970s, activities at the Green Mill were coming to an end. In 1977, it was discovered that the building was structurally unsound, and the building was torn down.