Anchor Teen Center
Rumblings of starting a Teen Center in Findlay began in the mid-1950s. In 1956, Findlay’s Teen Council named the center “The Anchor”. The Findlay Rotary Club sponsored a dance to raise funds for the teen center, where all high schoolers would be welcome to attend. The Anchor Club was an instant hit, with 510 memberships in September of 1956. The teen center’s building was located at 215 East Street, and was open every afternoon after school until 10:30 pm, and Saturdays from 2-5 and 7-11:30. The center included a dance floor, a snack bar, and gaming areas. The building was officially opened in 1958. A paid adult was always on hand as a supervisor.
Teens flocked to the center to dance, attend style shows, play games, chat, and listen to the latest bands from the area. The center was highly popular through the 1960s. In 1973, the Teen Advisory Council sold the building to the city, and it was converted into a senior center, before becoming the city’s Park and Recreation Department headquarters. The building was used for occasional events after the Park Dept. moved out in May of 2006, though after the flood of 2007, the building was so badly damaged, that the city had to tear the building down.